Review #1 The Prestige (2006)

Hello People!

Like pretty much everyone at the moment I have been burning through films and tv series like there is no tomorrow. However, I was doing that way before lockdown so I really can’t use that as an excuse! I know no one asked for them but this blog is pretty much my opinions about the things I’ve watched, created with the hope that maybe anyone reading this could have a good film or series to watch next. 

First up is The Prestige (2006), directed by Christopher Nolan about the rivalry of two magicians that soon becomes deadly! My reviews will consist of 3 different scores, all out of 10, I will then use the average to create an overall score. You’ve made it this far, so let’s crack on...

CAST & THE ACTING 

I start off the review with a huge score of 9 out of 10 for the cast which I believe is actually on the harsh side! I am a firm believer that you don’t need a great cast to have a great film but believe me this cast only compliments the film. The two magicians are played by Christian Bale and Hugh Jackman, actors who certainly don’t need any introduction. If these two great actors weren’t enough, they are also supported by Scarlett Johansson, Michael Caine and Rebecca Hall! All giving great performances, which I will touch upon later in the review. We also see Andy Serkis and David Bowie take on small roles in the film, adding to the already talented cast. 

I agree that sometimes films can be let down by a crowd of big names but that is not the case here. After watching the film I believe that each actor really was casted perfectly for the characters they portrayed and that is why I have given such a big score in this category. Christian Bale and Hugh Jackman perform amazingly well, really bringing that toxic rivalry to life and maintaining it throughout the film. Both characters lose something dear to them in the film (without giving to much away) and both really do capture that pain and emotion in their performance. Scarlett Johansson and Rebecca Hall play the love interests for the two magicians and although their characters couldn’t be further from each other, both are effected by this rivalry and both deliver strong performances. Michael Caine provides a classy performance as always and although this characters was like many of his characters in his other films, you can always rely on him to deliver, which is exactly what he does here. The other actors mentioned didn’t play huge parts in the movie but were strong roles necessary to emphasise that competitiveness of the two magicians. Performances as a whole justify the strong score of 9 and they really do lure you in and get you hooked on the story from start to finish.


STORYTELLING/PLOT 


Another strong score here, I understand that a film about two magicians may put some people off but the plot of this film is extremely well portrayed throughout. Which, in my opinion, allows this film to compete with the big action and comedy flicks most people revert to. The film is full of twists and is one of those that keeps you guessing and that is what keeps your intrigued throughout the whole duration of the film. The way the story is structured really allows you to see the emotional development of the characters, seeing them mentally deteriorate and consumed by this rivalry. This could have been lost if the storytelling was poorly done and Christopher Nolan has done extremely well to keep the plot interesting, hence why I have given another high score here.


CINEMATOGRAPHY/SPECIAL EFFECTS

This score is slightly lower than the previous two just because this film was set in 19th century England and therefore the scope for special effects was minimised. The small amount we do see however was done well and wasn’t too extravagant, so fit well with the time frame of the film. There wasn’t to much fancy camera work and it was kept pretty basic but I mean that in the best possible way. The film focuses on the acting and the emotions of these characters and the cinematography does well to keep you focused on that. 


OVERALL (8/10)

I really did enjoy this film and Nolan yet again produces a captivating story that does justice to the actors performances. The twist and turns make the film unpredictable and keeps you on the edge of your seat, doing so without huge action sequences or flash special effects. I would strongly recommend this to anyone looking for a great film with excellent acting from every member of its cast! 8.6 is probably a harsh score in my opinion but it really does set the bar for my future reviews...


I hope you enjoyed it!

Callan


Comments

Popular Posts