REVIEW #6 WANDAVISION

The first marvel review!

Hello people, I have been wanting to do a marvel review for some time now because like most people I am a huge fan and I thought the new series Wandavision would be the perfect start. The series follows Wanda Maximoff after the events of endgame as she battles her personal demons and those trying to destroy her new life. I will try not to give anything away, so don’t worry about any spoilers!


CAST & THE ACTING 

Elizabeth Olsen and Paul Bettany reprise their roles of Wanda and Vision and also included in the cast are Kathryn Hahn, Teyonah Parris, Kat Dennings and Evan Peters. I think the series has the perfect combination of existing MCU (Marvel Cinematic Universe) characters and new ones, who we will certainly see again in future projects. The acting for me was very good, the characters showed range with comedy, darkness and at times really deep emotion that comes across well from episode 1. I want to highlight Elizabeth Olsen especially because she portrayed probably every emotion possible whilst we witnessed her struggles with grief and the constant conflict between doing the right thing or pursuing her own self interests. So for me she is the stand out performance across the 9 episodes.


PLOT & THE STORYLINE 

Like a lot of people I struggled with the first couple episodes, it really wasn’t my style and they really didn’t set a good impression on me. However after watching all 9 I realised how important those initial episodes were in setting up the whole storyline for Wandavision. It had everyone guessing what was going to happen next and how the story would play out. I must have seen hundreds of different fan theories online, which shows just how many people were invested in it! 

The plot was pretty easy to follow and leads on from Endgame and I appreciate just how clever the links between previous projects are incorporated throughout the series. There are also a couple of Easter eggs which are really clever, little things such as paying respect to the late Stan Lee! I will let you work those out for yourself. What I will say is please do not watch this if you haven’t watched the marvel films already, go watch them first (that should be common sense right?).


CINEMATOGRAPHY & SPECIAL EFFECTS 

This is the first review where the series/film has lots of special effects and we are talking about Marvel, so of course they were great. You can tell there was just as much effort in the series special effects, as there was in the main films. From giant force fields, to chaos magic and the beams of an infinity stone, every bit of special effects looked great and that’s why I have given it such a good score here. I mentioned the first couple of episodes earlier in the review and how I wasn’t a fan at first but I will give them credit here because how the ‘sitcom’ style was brought to life using cinematography and special effects was really well done. 


OVERALL (8.4/10)

As you can tell I really liked this series and the finale really was on par with some of the big Marvel film endings. I have always been a big Marvel fan so maybe I am a little biased here but if you have watched the films please give it a go, I’m sure you won’t regret it! 


Thanks for reading! 

Callan

Comments

Popular Posts