REVIEW #26 Scoob (2020)

Our first animated film review! 

Scoob is an animated film directed by Tony Cervone about Scooby Doo and the rest of the Mystery Incorporated gang. We see how the group all first met and how they are put to the test against the evil Dick Dastardly! They are not alone, they soon find some unlikely allies in the a group of famous superheroes.


CAST & THE VOICEOVERS (7/10)

There are a lot of famous voices in this film, Zac Effron is the voice of Fred, Amanda Seyfreid is Daphne, Gina Rodriguez is Velma and Will Forte is Shaggy. We also see other key characters voiced by the likes of Mark Wahlberg, Jason Isaacs and Ken Jeong. The voice work isn’t too bad but I couldn’t help but think that some of them just really didn’t suit the characters. That could be because I was so used to the old cartoons I used to watch as a kid or even because of how well casted the live action films were years ago but I really couldn’t get used to the voices in this film and that’s why I have a pretty low, average score here.


PLOT & THE STORYLINE (5/10)

In my opinion this has to be the worst storyline for any Scooby Doo film/animation I have ever watched. From stupid appearances from Simon Cowell to supernatural doors to the underworld, I just felt as though the film had gone so far away from what the originals were all about. I understand changing things up for a new generation but it was just so chaotic with random characters and worlds that everything just felt so disjointed. A really poor score here! 


THE ANIMATION (7/10)

The animation was okay it wasn’t the worst thing I’ve seen but I have seen a lot better. They’ve obviously tried to level up from previously animated Scooby Doo films but I am not sure they have achieved that here. I will say that it would be entertaining for a really young audience because of the vibrant colours used and the different worlds/scenery they visit in the film so if that’s what they were aiming for then I guess they’ve done okay there. So another low, average score.


OVERALL (6.3/10)

In my opinion this has to be the worst Scooby Doo adaptation I have seen, I think the voice for Shaggy in particular is way off of what I would expect him to sound like. The storyline is absolutely dreadful and just feels so disjointed and if it wasn’t already ambitious enough they decide to chuck in superheroes as well! The animation was okay but nothing to rave about and therefore I have given this film a pretty low score, my lowest yet I believe. Which is disappointing because I had high hopes for my first animated film review... I wouldn’t recommend this film to be honest, the live action films are 10x better and other animated versions such Scooby Doo and the Cyber Chase are miles better in my opinion. 


Thanks for reading!

Callan



Comments

Popular Posts