REVIEW #30 How I Met Your Mother (2005-2014)

How I Met Your Mother is a tv series about a group of friends living in New York City. It centres around Ted Mosby and his long and emotional journey to find the love of his life, with the series actually being narrated by an older Ted, telling his kids about how he me their mother. 


CAST & THE ACTING (9/10)

I loved the casting for this series, Josh Radnor was the perfect Ted Mosby and he was joined by a bunch of famous actors such as Jason Segel who played his best friend Marshal, Alyson Hannigan who played Lily, Cobie Smulders as Robin and finally Neil Patrick Harris as Barney. The dynamic between this cast is great and the chemistry really comes across well on screen. The comedic acting shines throughout the whole 9 seasons which was combined with some great writing of course. But these actors were also great at bringing the real emotional and intimate moments to life. So I think a strong 9 is perfectly justified in this category!


PLOT & THE STORYLINE (9/10)

We have seen plenty of these type of series, I could probably name 10 similar TV shows straight away. However I think this has to be my favourite which I believe can even compete with Friends which has become such an iconic series now. I think How I Met Your Mother is unique in the sense of how this story is told, I really liked how it’s a narration from an older Ted, telling his kids about his life and how it built up to the moment he met their mother. The characters are likeable, which means the audience can get really invested into their storylines. The intertwining relationships kept things interesting and unpredictable and plots from the first season reappear and link to the final season and that’s the case throughout, it all comes full circle! I have to give another high score here.


CINEMATOGRAPHY & SPECIAL EFFECTS (N/A)


OVERALL (9/10)

I am such a big fan of this show, I think I have watched it all 4 times now and considering there are 9 seasons I think that’s a clear signal of how much I enjoy it! The closest thing I can think of to compare it to would be Friends they have certainly copied that blueprint but after all Friends did pave the way for these sorts of shows so I don’t think that’s a bad thing! It’s hilariously funny, emotional at times and the depth in these characters has to be highlighted too. For an American sitcom, it really is great. So please give it a go if you have time, I don’t think you will regret it.


Thanks for reading.

Callan

Comments

Popular Posts