REVIEW #49 Spider-Man (2002)

Spider-Man is the first instalment of the original live action trilogy directed by Sam Raimi. It follows Peter Parker as he transitions into the infamous Spider-Man after being bitten by a genetically altered spider. We see him take on one of his most iconic nemesis, the Green Goblin.


CAST & THE ACTING

I personally think Toby Maguire is the best actor to play Spider-Man so far, that could be because I grew up on those films and that version holds a sense of nostalgia. I think he shows great range, being able to convincingly portray all the emotions Peter goes through such as the anger and grief losing his uncle Ben but also the sense of empowerment that comes with his new found powers. Willem Defoe is Norman Osborn (AKA the Green Goblin) and he does brilliantly at bringing that iconic villain to life. James Franco plays Harry Obsorn and Kristen Dunst plays Mary Jane Watson, both delivering strong performances. There are some cringe-worthy moments in the film but I think overall the casting and performances are pretty good.


PLOT & THE STORYLINE

This was the first time that the origins of Spider-Man was shown in a live action film. Granted after The Amazing Spider-Man films I have now had enough of the origin storytelling but because this was the first time and I think it is done extremely well! There is a lot of controversy over the organic web shooters which Peter has in this film but I actually like that, even if it doesn’t follow the typical route the comics take. I think Sam Raimi done well to get the perfect balance between the sub plots, such as Peters relationship with both Harry and Mary Jane, the struggle with his Uncles death and as well as discovering his new powers and having to take on the Green Goblin. It all flowed really well and took on a natural progression throughout the film.


CINEMATOGRAPHY & SPECIAL EFFECTS

I really enjoyed the cinematography in this film, I think the colouring was used brilliantly to reflect the mood of the scenes and I also appreciated the technique too. For example when we first see Peters Spider senses when he has the fight with Flash. The slow motion combined with the effects to concentrate on the fly, the spit ball and the incoming danger really showed the true power of his spider senses. For a film released in 2002 the graphics are actually really good, everything looks convincing and it creates such an entertaining film. I think it was that concentration to detail in the effects that made this such a popular film at the time! 


OVERALL (7.5/10)

I loved this film when it was originally released in 2002, as a todler I just wanted every Spider-Man toy I could find. I think it’s that sense of nostalgia that still means it’s still as good every time I watch it and why I think Toby Maguire is the best actor to play the iconic Spider-Man so far. The plot was great, finding the perfect balance between Spider-Man and his action sequences but also Peter and his personal life issues which almost made Spider-Man relatable to the average person, which was nice. The cinematography is great too and the special effects I believe were ahead of their time! Give it a go if you haven’t already seen it.


Thanks for reading.

Callan

Comments

Popular Posts