REVIEW #113 Laid in America (2016)

Laid in America is a comedy directed by Sam Milman and Peter Vass which follows two exchange students who want to spend their last night in America losing their Virginity. 


CAST & THE ACTING 

Youtubers KSI and Casper Lee lead the cast as the two exchange students from England and South Africa. Surprisingly they weren’t terrible which is certainly what I expected going into the film. They were actually quite funny and got into their characters pretty well. KSI’s character seemed like an exaggeration of himself, I don’t know too much about Casper Lee but he portrayed the nervous and timid Jack nicely. These two aren’t actors so you can clearly see moments where the acting is pretty poor but that being said they were good at delivering on comedic timings and dialogue. The only other actor I recognised was Madison Iseman, who you may know from the recent Jumanji films. There wasn’t any memorable performances that’s for sure and I expected that, they just needed to make you laugh and as bad as some of the acting was, they did still make me laugh. 


PLOT & THE STORYLINE 

We have seen this type of film 100’s of times before, the success of American Pie and films of that elk in the early 2000’s meant we got an influx of comedies focusing on sex and this coming of age style. This doesn’t compete with American Pie in the slightest but the exchange student aspect was pretty unique. The storyline was set up to produce comedy and it did that really well, you forgot about the poor acting because of that. There are a number of hurdles these two students go through in order to make it to the party where they both plan to finally lose their virginity. Oscar worthy storyline ay! What I will say is that I needed a film with a simple storyline where I didn’t have to think and could just have a laugh. So this was perfect really. 


OVERALL (4.5/10)

I went into this film with the lowest of expectations, I definitely thought it was going to be one of the worst films I’ve ever watched. However it did actually make me laugh for the entire film! Despite KSI and Casper Lee’s clear lack of acting experience they do actually suit their characters well and they seem to have pretty good chemistry. The storyline follows the coming of age blueprint that we’ve seen so many times before but to be honest every once in while I need a film like this just to reset the batteries a bit. Something I can just switch off to and laugh at so it served that purpose. I haven’t included the cinematography and special effects category with this review because quite frankly there’s nothing to speak about. There certainly isn’t any beautiful camera work or visuals and they weren’t going to even attempt to put effects into a film with such a low budget. I can only give it a 4.5 but I did actually enjoy it! 


Thanks for reading 

Callan


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

REVIEW #334 Wish (2023)

REVIEW #372 Clarksons Farm (Season 3)

REVIEW #54 The Conjuring: The Devil Made Me Do It (2021)