REVIEW #165 The Lighthouse (2019)

On a remote island, Ephraim Winslow arrives to work as a lighthouse keeper working only with his elderly supervisor Thomas Wake. As the weeks pass and the curse of isolation kicks in, Winslow is haunted by strange and mysterious visions. Directed by Robert Eggers.


Robert Eggers has created a carefully constructed film with only two central characters played by Robert Pattinson and Willem Dafoe. The Lighthouse is certainly a slow burner but the story of two men in isolation, descending down a path to insanity paves the way for incredible duologues that simply had me amazed. Eggers technique is front and centre, shooting on a black and white 35mm film with an orthochromatic aesthetic that emulates 19th century photography. That aesthetic is enhanced by the nearly square 1.19:1 aspect ratio, that works well with the smaller sets, creating intimate scenes that are perfect for a two person ensemble. The musical score by composer Mark Korven compliments the film so well, it not only builds the tension up but perfectly resembles the characters mindset. It also effected me as the viewer, it had me on edge and made me feel awfully uncomfortable and I mean that in the best possible way. The performances blew me away, for me it’s the best work I’ve seen from both Dafoe and Pattinson. Put simply The Lighthouse is a work of art but understandably for the average viewer who cares less about the intricate filmmaking and more for entertainment value, this might not be the film for them. But I would recommend it nonetheless because you cannot miss out on seeing the amazing performances and cinematography on show. 


FINAL SCORE (9/10)


Comments

Popular Posts