REVIEW #185 Sonic The Hedgehog 2 (2022)

Having now settled down in Green Hills with his new family, Sonic is once again attacked by the dangerous Dr Robotnik, who makes a daring return from the ‘mushroom’ planet with the help of his new sidekick Knuckles. Forced to team up with his new friend Tails, the pair try and make it to the magical green emerald before Robotnik, in a bid to save the world. 


Sonic the Hedgehog 2 maintains the overly goofy comedy and charm of the first, whilst upping the stakes immensely. The scale of Robotniks threat is ten fold compared to the version of the character in the original film, harnessing the power of the mythical green emerald and teaming up with the iconic sonic character Knuckles. This sequel was a whole lot of fun that’s for sure, Fowler doubled down on the silliness and for the most part that was a pretty smart and successful choice. Knuckles as a character surprised me, I wasn’t expecting him to be as funny as he was and that was both down to the good writing and the delivery of dialogue from Idris Elba. The highlight of the film for me was Sonic himself, he goes on quite the journey and moulds himself into a pretty effective leader, it was so wholesome to see him have a team of friends just like him when the film reached its conclusion. The special effects looked pretty good as well and I found myself hit with such a strong sense of nostalgia, a real throwback to the allure of the games. Now I must admit, the film is far from perfect and there were a few things I didn’t enjoy and perhaps that was down to the goofiness gone wrong in my opinion. For example the twist with Rachel and Randall’s wedding at the end, I felt like it was a desperate attempt to deliver some action sequences for the human characters and for me it just come across and pretty cringeworthy. I guess the entire sonic film franchise does ride that thin line between comedic silliness and cheesy sequences, so it’s just how you perceive it at times. My favourite sonic character of all time was included in the end credits scene, which has me incredibly excited for the third film! To summarise I think this is a good example of how to create a film that remains loyal to the video game source material and is also very entertaining. Is it a great film? I don’t think so but not all films have to be great, as long as the audience has fun then it’s achieved it’s purpose, after all Sonic should be fun and goofy. 


Overall (7/10)

Thanks for reading.

Callan

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

REVIEW #334 Wish (2023)

REVIEW #372 Clarksons Farm (Season 3)

REVIEW #54 The Conjuring: The Devil Made Me Do It (2021)