REVIEW #187 Blade Runner (1982)

Set in a dystopian future, Rick Deckard is a retired Blade Runner who is forced back into action to hunt down four replicants who have stolen a ship and travelled back to earth to find their creators. 


Blade Runner was a film that I have been excited to watch for a long time, unfortunately it was quite the anticlimax because I can’t help but think that it’s two hours of my life I won’t get back. The first act is executed nicely, introducing us to the dystopian future on earth, surrounded by advanced technology and ambitious landscapes. However from that point on, the storyline declines and simply isn’t engaging enough. The concept itself is captivating, something that has appeared in Hollywood for decades yet never seems to get stale, AI machines that begin to think for themselves! Generally speaking though, that concept has been done far better elsewhere. Although the love story between Deckard and Rachael was predictable, it was probably one of the more enjoyable aspects of the film, even if some of their interactions were a little odd at times. In regards to the cinematography, it achieved its purpose, it did produce a real dystopian vibe that created a lot of beautiful shots, with vibrant bursts of colour. This is where the film excelled, Ridley Scott and Jordan Cronenweth clearly focused on making Blade Runner a visual masterpiece but unfortunately it looks like the storyline and general direction suffered for it. I’ve also seen much better performances from Harrison Ford, he wasn’t bad but he didn’t create an emotional connection between his character and the audience, for me anyway because I just didn’t really care about Deckard. Sean Young on the other hand, I felt like she done brilliantly with the little screen time she had to bring Rachael to life. I had sympathy for her character, especially during the moments where Deckard revealed to her that she was in fact a replicant. The ending wrapped up nicely with Deckard coming to a new realisation, believing the replicants were the same as humans, wanting to find their purpose and having a desire to know when it all ends. It was an effective piece of character development that closed off the film on a nice heartwarming note but it couldn’t redeem the uninteresting hour or so that came before it. Would I recommend Blade Runner? Not really, I can think of plenty of other Sci-Fi films that top it and even more Dystopian films that do too. But I kind of expected this going in, from what I’ve read from my fellow film lovers, it’s widely believed that Blade Runner 2049 tops the original, so I am still super excited to watch that. 

Overall (5.9/10)

Thanks for reading.
Callan

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

REVIEW #334 Wish (2023)

REVIEW #372 Clarksons Farm (Season 3)

REVIEW #54 The Conjuring: The Devil Made Me Do It (2021)