REVIEW #206 Minions: Rise of Gru (2022)

In the 1970’s a young Gru attempts to join a group of super villains known as the Vicious 6, when the interview goes terribly he takes matters into his own hands and soon finds himself being mentored by an unlikely hero of his!


Minions: Rise of Gru was certainly enjoyable and it was about time we got an origin style movie about the wishful villain. But I have to admit that it wasn’t really an origin story at all, instead it highlighted one of the adventures Gru had as a child in the 1970’s and that was about it. So I believe they missed an opportunity there! The entertainment value was high, with plenty of vibrant action sequences to accompany the free flowing humour. However I don’t think that the humour here, can compete with the previous instalments, it had its moments but I certainly wasn’t laughing as much as I had been with the other movies. I took my 8 year old brother to see it and he disagreed, giving the film a mighty score of 9.5! So perhaps it’s me getting older and becoming a grumpy old man as he likes to put it. Steve Carell returned to voice Gru and it was the correct decision, granted he did adjust his vocals to sound younger but the hints of his normal voice peaking through actually made the character funnier. So I did have fun and when minions are involved, there’s always something to laugh about. But unfortunately the storyline felt like it was just thrown together quickly in order to pump another film out, it had heart for sure but it was missing that something special. If you have kids, they’ll love it so be sure to take them! 


My score: (6/10)

My 8 year old brothers score (9.5/10)

Thanks for reading!

Callan

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

REVIEW #334 Wish (2023)

REVIEW #372 Clarksons Farm (Season 3)

REVIEW #54 The Conjuring: The Devil Made Me Do It (2021)