REVIEW #211 Interstellar (2014)

When Earth becomes inhabitable in the future, a farmer and ex NASA pilot is tasked with flying a spacecraft, along with a team of researchers, to find a new planet for the human race.


Interstellar ultimately explores the very real and inevitable fate of our planet and turns that premise into a thought provoking science fiction film that leaves audiences asking questions long after it’s conclusion. It’s a fiction film that hits hard because we all know this is the direction we are heading in and that helps create such a strong emotional connection, for me at least anyway. There were so many points in this film that had me in tears, it’s a real heartbreaker and that’s the aspect that surprised me the most for sure. Now combine that with the spectacular cinematography and one of the best musical scores I have ever listened to and this film solidified itself as one of the all time greats. It’s no surprise that this was the work of Hans Zimmer, the man’s a genius who never fails to surprise me with his musical talents. This is also one of Christopher Nolan’s best films, beaten in my opinion, only slightly, by Inception but that is likely down to personal nostalgia rather than raw quality and I am happy to admit that. There are so many working components within this storyline that elevate Interstellar far above your usual science fiction flick. It takes well known theories and expands on them to say the least but Nolan does it in a way that the audience can always understand (as long as you pay attention!). I have to say this is a super underrated film amongst critics, I know it’s loved amongst the filmstagram community but it’s official ratings are surprisingly low. That being said, do not let that deter you, I couldn’t recommend it enough and I absolutely loved it! After all who wouldn’t love a film directed by Nolan, including stars like McConaughey, Jessica Chastain, Anne Hathaway, Matt Damon, Michael Caine and Timothee Chalamet! 


Overall (9.5/10)

Thanks for reading!

Callan

Comments

Popular Posts