REVIEW #232 Game Of Thrones (S5)

Season 5 holds some of the biggest and the best set pieces in the entire show, however it was also the first time I disliked one of the sub plots that were introduced. I’ll begin with the negative, the entire High Septon storyline I found pretty exhausting and the fact that it carried over into season 6 was also disappointing. Don’t get me wrong, I understand its purpose. On one hand it keeps the audience interested with a fresh story for the Kings landing scenes, meanwhile fleshing out Cersei’s character with the loss of yet another child. However on the other hand, the pacing of that story was very slow and compared to everything else going on in Westeros, it was just pretty dull. Luckily there wasn’t too much time dedicated to that portion of the show and the rest was fantastic. 

Now onto my favourite aspects! Episode 8 was unbelievable and without a doubt one of my favourite Game of thrones episodes. The cinematography was fantastic and the combat choreography was equally impressive. The masses of the dead was the first time the audience got a real look at the threat coming for the living and boy was it a spectacle. Everything looked incredibly realistic and that helped get the emotions high, I mean we only just met the other wildling leaders yet their deaths still had such an impact. A perfect example is Karsi who looked to be an amazing character but fell to the children of the dead. We also got to witness Tyrion meet Daenerys and what a combination that is, it’s exactly what she needed and it finally allows his talent to be appreciated. Finally I just want to mention Gwendoline Christie, I would say the most underrated performance of the entire show who smashes every scene she is in! Overall Season 5 wasn’t perfect but the area I disliked was far outweighed by the hugely positive aspects of the series! 

Overall (9.2/10)

Thanks for reading!

Callan

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

REVIEW #334 Wish (2023)

REVIEW #372 Clarksons Farm (Season 3)

REVIEW #54 The Conjuring: The Devil Made Me Do It (2021)