REVIEW #252 Spider-Man Into the Spider-Verse (2018)

After gaining superpowers from a spider bite, Miles Morales finds himself thrusted into the life of a hero, just like his favourite superhero Spider-Man. Luckily he has plenty of mentors because soon after, he meets several alternative versions of the webbed hero.

Into the Spider-Verse is peak animation, it’s the pages of a comic book erupting to life on your screen! The beautiful art feels unique and separates itself from the usual designs that you have seen previously, at least in my case anyway. It’s accompanied by a wonderful soundtrack that not only suits the story and the characters perfectly but the sounds play in time to every animation that flashes on screen. Into the Spider-verse is a perfect multiversal story that’s simple yet effective, it doesn’t try to over complicate things and that works wonderfully. We are presented with not only a wide variety of classic Spider-Man villains, from Kingpin to Scorpion, but we also have a plethora of webbed heroes, ranging from Spider-Gwen to Spider-Man Noir. The voices behind these interesting characters are amazing and it’s crazy how much they suit the version of Spider-Man that they are playing. Jake Johnson in particular just excels as a declining version of the hero, but my personal favourite was Nicholas Cage as Spider-Man Noir, I’d have love to have seen more from him. 

You could fill 5 separate posts just with shots from this movie, the visuals are probably the most impressive I’ve seen from any animated film in my entire life! I think you would find it difficult to meet anyone who disliked the artwork on display here. Even if you’re not necessarily a fan of animation, you’ll come out of this film with nothing but praise. Do I prefer live action? Of course I do, it makes the entire universe seem more real and I can lose myself in it a little more than I can with animation. But despite that, Into the Spider-Verse earns itself a huge score and it’s completely deserved! I think from an objective standpoint, it’s a perfect film. I went back and forth with myself, debating on whether or not to give this a perfect score but I simply couldn’t think of anything wrong with it. It makes me so excited for the sequel this year because I think that’s going to be even more impressive! Meanwhile it’ll get you hyped about Miles as a character, who I cannot wait to see join the MCU.

Overall (10/10)

Thanks for reading.

Callan

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

REVIEW #334 Wish (2023)

REVIEW #372 Clarksons Farm (Season 3)

REVIEW #54 The Conjuring: The Devil Made Me Do It (2021)