REVIEW #278 Evil Dead Rise (2023)

The reunion of two sisters is rudely interrupted by flesh-possessing demons who go on a murderous rampage, forcing the residents of an old tower block into a battle of survival. 

I broke a big rule of mine to watch Evil Dead Rising, usually I have to watch all of the other films in the franchise before watching the latest instalment but this time I made the exception. I don’t think the film is linked to the others, bar the book of course, so that’s good news. But nonetheless it’s a pretty enjoyable movie! It certainly follows the usual tropes of a film of this type and although that’s not necessarily a bad thing, it did make it rather predictable. The cinematography was actually really good though, an aspect I thoroughly enjoyed. I also appreciated how they set up the conditions for the protagonists, usually you’re questioning why they wouldn’t just run or leave things be, but at least we knew why the residents in this old tower block couldn’t escape. That helped justify some of the choices from the characters. I just wish the odd silly scene wasn’t included because it would have received a higher score, for example it could have done without the death by eye ball choke… I’ll leave it at that! 

Overall (7/10)

Thanks for reading.

Callan

Comments

Popular Posts