REVIEW #286 New Girl (7 Seasons)

Jess, a middle-school teacher, answers a room ad in LA and decides to move in with three men after her boyfriend cheats on her, bringing a new dynamic to the apartment.

I’m going to go out on a limb and declare New Girl as the most underrated sitcom! Why? Well it seems like those who have watched the show, absolutely love it, but the problem is not enough people have seen it. Of course it holds some of the usual sitcom tropes that are present across all of your popular shows, the central apartment, the local bar and a will they won’t they relationship story. However the characters are certainly unique, at least in my opinion anyway. The comedy is hilarious and the dynamic, especially between the male characters is definitely one of my favourites in TV. Jess is the lead character of course, played brilliantly by Zoe Deschanel, who you can’t help but love! But I’d have to say my favourite character is Winston, followed closely by Nick and Jess. Lamorne Morris just hits every single punchline as Winston and the execution has me in tears each and every time. The story flows naturally, with strong character development each and every season. It’s a shame it had to end in season 7, they could have got another couple of seasons with the same high quality! 

Now I have given a high rating already but it actually could have been even higher! However the final season just felt very rushed, the humour was still there don’t get me wrong but restricting the season to just 8 episodes was a big mistake. I hate it when shows just decide to wrap up and condense the final season to rush the finish. Do it properly, stick to the usual episode count and finish it in the same way that captured all of the fans hearts. That being said, it still finishes on such a heartwarming note and with the trademark New Girl style, so I can’t be too critical of it. The conclusion does sort of leave it open to a comeback, the cast still seems to talk so positively about the show and a lot of the talk does fill me with hope for a potential reunion. I’d be first in line to watch it. It’s currently streaming on Disney+ in the UK and I couldn’t recommend it enough!

Overall (9/10)
Thanks for reading.
Callan

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

REVIEW #334 Wish (2023)

REVIEW #372 Clarksons Farm (Season 3)

REVIEW #54 The Conjuring: The Devil Made Me Do It (2021)