REVIEW #309 Meg 2: The Trench (2023)

Jonas Taylor returns to lead an exploratory dive into the deepest trench of our ocean. Their mission spirals into chaos when they are faced with deadly ancient creatures and other dangerous humans.

Meg 2: The Trench continues the logic defying set pieces with Jason Statham playing the immortal Megaladon killing hero and despite its many flaws, I still managed to have a bit of fun with the movie. My low, and I mean low, expectations more than likely helped my experience but that works best for me. I think the biggest criticism I have is not the stupidity of the movies premise but the cringeworthy dialogue that just tainted so many of the scenes. Not to mention some of the performances really gave off low level pantomime vibes, where the acting and line delivery especially, was really poor and this came primarily from the films antagonists. In contrast, the cinematography was actually better than I expected it to be, with a nice variety of cool shots amongst all of the action. 

This was never going to be a great movie with spectacular writing but it just aims to be an entertaining killer shark movie that can light up an audience on the big screen. I guess it achieves that, but nonetheless it’s still a pretty poor movie all in all. If there’s a third instalment, a big focus on improving the dialogue could see a vast improvement in its ratings.

Overall (5/10)

Thanks for reading.

Callan

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

REVIEW #334 Wish (2023)

REVIEW #372 Clarksons Farm (Season 3)

REVIEW #54 The Conjuring: The Devil Made Me Do It (2021)