REVIEW #381 A Quiet Place: Day One (2024)

When aliens invade New York City, a women and a group of survivors try to make it to safety. But just a single sound could mean their deaths.

The latest instalment in the Quiet Place franchise was a beautiful one! On one hand it was the most anxiety inducing cinema experience of my life, the IMAX sound was impeccable and transported you into the film to experience the horror right alongside the protagonists. On the other hand, the movie is also filled with so many heartfelt moments that had me choking up at multiple points throughout the pretty short runtime. In a film like this, it’s crucial to have talented actors, a cast who communicate a thousand words through a single expression, when dialogue is sparse. Lupita Nyong’o and Joseph Quinn were wonderful at this. The franchise has always been a heart racing one, the tension created through the silence, however the juxtaposition of the incredibly loud New York City to the then eery silence, exacerbated that tension ten fold. The cinematography played a huge part in this, with my favourite example coming during the initial invasion, the smoke filled streets almost symbolising the confusion amongst the masses, whilst also providing really cool shots of the aliens stalking their victims. For me, it was pretty much a perfect example of apocalyptic sci-fi / horror, using the senses to immerse the audience. It also plays into my personal bias because I love aliens and apocalyptic projects, so when I’m presented with one as well crafted as this, I can’t help but love it! I’d absolutely recommend viewing in IMAX if you can.

OVERALL (9/10)

thanks for reading!

Callaj

Comments

Popular Posts