REVIEW #383 Shōgun (Season 1)

Set in 1600 Japan, Lord Taranaga is fighting for his life as the council of regents conspire against him and an unlikely European ally washes up on his shores.

Shōgun utilises the talent of Hiroyuki Sanada and creates a captivating Japanese drama that not only highlights the incredible ancient culture of the country but also the power of a predominantly foreign language and how successful they can be in English speaking countries. I must admit I am one who usually struggles with non English movies / TV Shows but it’s hard to imagine how Shōgun could operate in any other way. The power of the Japanese language and how it penetrates the audience, made the dialogue so much more impactful. The juxtaposition against Cosmo Jarvis’s character, John Blackthorne, and his thick English accent was a delight and it worked incredibly well. I mentioned the Japanese culture earlier and it was probably my favourite aspect of the show! It added a level of immersion that went beyond the central storytelling narrative, it’s like we was learning about the country right along with John Blackthorne. 

I have seen people compare the show with Game of Thrones and although I think the fundamentals are pretty different, the drama, powerful dialogue and the underlying politics are certainly very similar. But it’s very much its own unique thing and sometimes such comparisons do not do a show like this justice. The entire cast were great, performances were some of the best I’ve seen to be honest and I’d imagine that Shōgun will be at the forefront of TV award season. Finally I just want to give a shoutout to the cinematography and the costume and set design which were of a tremendous quality. Contributing to the immersion into 1600’s Japan and really transporting us into the environment. I am glad they have decided to opt for more seasons because if it ended after 1 season, which was the original plan, I think it could have left a sour taste in my mouth, with things feeling unfinished.

Overall (9/10)

Thanks for reading.

Callan

Comments

Popular Posts