REVIEW #399 It Ends With Us (2024)

Lily Bloom moves to New York to achieve her dream of opening her own Florist shop and soon finds herself swept up in a whirlwind romance that slowly turns toxic.

I must admit that I was rather naive and in the dark in regards to the source material, but after hearing fans of the books review the movie, I think that was for the best. From a neutrals perspective, I enjoyed it! I appreciated the dual timeline narrative that provided an insight into past romances but also Lily’s upbringing and it pieced together really smoothly. Blake Lively performed okay but it was Justin Baldoni who stole the show with his more diverse performance, illustrating a wider range that personified Ryle perfectly. This is obviously a film that explores the themes of domestic violence and the way they structured the inevitable turn to sourness was orchestrated in a way we would see it from Lily’s perspective first, where she is caught up in the romance. I did think that worked well but I would have adjusted the acts of violence a little differently, had it unfold in a slightly different way to make it more convincing. They certainly sold Ryle to the point you could completely understand Lily getting caught up in it all! But then Atlas comes in and you can’t help but appreciate a straight up nice guy. To conclude, I thought it was executed nicely, the performances reeled the audience in to the characters and it delivers a really strong message that could help a lot of people. I’ve also got to mention that the cinema was absolutely packed, even busier than the Deadpool and Wolverine premiere, it was great to see!

Overall (7.5/10)

Thanks for reading.

Callan

Comments

Popular Posts