REVIEW #260 Amsterdam (2022)

Amsterdam follows two World War 1 veterans and a Nurse who meet during the war and find themselves, years later, caught up in a murder investigation. The three friends then uncover one of the most outrageous plots in American History.

Amsterdam was a pleasant surprise for me, I had heard awful reviews from critics and fellow film lovers and thus I went into the film with pretty low expectations. However, I soon found myself enjoying the quirky, eccentric characters and the silly humour ever present throughout the movie. From what I’ve read it looks like most people took this way too seriously, it’s clear that this film wasn’t intended to be a serious Neo Noir drama. It’s meant to be comical, silly at times and once you can accept that, you can sit back and enjoy. I loved Bale playing this real eccentric doctor and I thought the weird trio finished by Margot Robbie and John David Washington created so many enjoyable moments. I do think the film lost itself in the middle act, it started to take itself too seriously and the silly humour I was loving so much, faded and consequently, the film become a little dull and predictable. Fortunately it picked up towards the end and all in all, I liked it! I understand that is an unpopular opinion but the humour just completely worked for me and the cast played up to that perfectly. 

Overall (7/10)

Thanks for reading.

Callan

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

REVIEW #334 Wish (2023)

REVIEW #372 Clarksons Farm (Season 3)

REVIEW #54 The Conjuring: The Devil Made Me Do It (2021)