REVIEW #264 The Grand Budapest Hotel (2014)

Gustave H, a concierge at The Grand Budapest Hotel, is wrongly framed for murder and in the process of proving his innocence he befriends a new employee, the bell boy Zero.

The Grand Budapest Hotel is yet another example of Wes Anderson’s ability to create a memorable and intoxicating atmosphere in his films. The editing in particular was remarkable! That, combined with amazing dialogue and the impressive performances, created an incredibly fast pace, but one that I simply couldn’t peel my eyes away from. Ralph Fiennes just continues to impress me, he’s definitely one of my favourite actors, the man just never misses and his range is impeccable. Now I also have to mention Tony Revolori who matches Fiennes’ quality, his tone and his impact on the film, at every step. It truly is a two man show and these two steal it! Now finally the cinematography, which was, you guessed it…also amazing! The different styles incorporated throughout the film really gave the aesthetic a life of its own, which was enhanced by the amazing colour utilised in the movie. I also appreciated how the aspect ratio varies depending on the time period the scene was set in, with the frame matching what would have been used in a film released during that time period. An amazing film and I regret that I left it so late to watch.

Overall (9/10)

Thanks for reading.

Callan

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

REVIEW #334 Wish (2023)

REVIEW #372 Clarksons Farm (Season 3)

REVIEW #54 The Conjuring: The Devil Made Me Do It (2021)