REVIEW #276 The Lost City of Z (2016)

The Lost City of Z is a based on the true story of Percy Fawcett, a decorated soldier and renowned explorer who underwent several explorations into the Amazon rainforest from 1906 onwards.

The Lost City of Z is the exact type of film that triggers the inner historian in me! I’ve always loved history, even wanting to be an archeologist growing up and therefore when I stumble across a story such as this it always brings a smile to my face. It’s even more of a win when it comes in the form of an amazing film with a stacked cast and beautiful cinematography. The movie is led by Charlie Hunnam who plays Percy Fawcett and he is joined by Robert Pattison, Tom Holland and Sienna Miller. The obvious route would be to turn this into a thrilling adventure story but James Gray has created a beautiful slow burn drama that tells the story in the most wonderful way. Illustrating the struggles and sacrifices that Fawcett makes in the pursuit of his dreams and his ambitions. 

For some the film may be a little too slow but for me I couldn’t peel my eyes away from the screen. The plot stays with you long after the film has finished as I found myself researching for hours about this intriguing true story and the Fawcett’s mysterious disappearance. The straightforward conclusion is the assumption that they are dead but the imaginative film lover in me certainly likes to give thought to the more unrealistic theories that they were living with the tribes in the jungle! The cinematography doesn’t attempt to glorify the jungle but instead they make the jungle a character in itself, a dark and dangerous pit full of challenges. For me this movie is a must watch, granted my personal interests could create a slight bias but if you’re into your history then this one’s for you!


Overall (9/10)

Thanks for reading.

Callan

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

REVIEW #334 Wish (2023)

REVIEW #372 Clarksons Farm (Season 3)

REVIEW #54 The Conjuring: The Devil Made Me Do It (2021)