REVIEW #377 Inside Out 2 (2024))

Joy, Anger, Fear, sadness and Embarrassment receive a shock to the system as Riley hits puberty and a new wave emotions arrive.

Inside Out 2 is another example of Pixar and their ability to produce great sequels, now some may disagree with me there but every sequel they’ve produced, I’ve really enjoyed! In this case, I actually think they improve upon the first film. What made this movie better, in my opinion, was that I could relate to the new emotions even more, relate to those high school stresses and awkward scenarios Riley experiences, we’ve all been there! If there’s one thing that can get audiences invested in the storyline, it’s relatability to the lead character! I think Maya Hawke was the perfect choice for voicing Anxiety and although she is technically the antagonist of the movie, per se, I actually found myself agreeing with her actions in the early stages. It may be targeted at kids but it does a fantastic job at presenting the audience with morality dilemmas, seeing which emotion you side with on certain social situations. This is a clever way to engage all age groups, a movie parents bring their children to, yet find themselves enjoying all the same. Inside Out 2 has its emotional highs and lows, reducing adults to tears in my screening! I still don’t think it touches the classic Pixar movies for me, maybe that’s down to nostalgia but either way it’s a special sequel and one that I think will be very successful.

Overall (8/10)
Thanks for reading.
Callan

Comments

Popular Posts